Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Could someone please explain this to me

I saw a commercial for auto insurance and it kind hurt. Part of one of the greatest R&B vocal groups ever to grace a stage or a recording studio was trapped in buffoonery. Gladys Knight & the Pips gave decades of pleasure to millions over the years with their smooth, soulful sounds and dazzling, classy stage performances. When Gladys stepped away from the Pips to pursue a solo career, she kind of left the Pips dangling. They released one album and basically were never heard from again. Well, I am look at this commercial when they are introduced and they were in uniforms that did not fit, their uniforms did not match their shoes and they had on "Afro" wigs. I thought at first that maybe this was a spoof and I would find something funny about this before the end of the commercial, however I did not! I thought about sad it was that someone who had made such an impact in the music business had to be subjected to that kind of an insult. I realize that many performers from that era are struggling and we all need money, but someone should have stood up for them...better yet, maybe they should have stood up for themselves. I have no idea what the circumstances surrounding this situation were. I just know it seemed real sad. I hope whatever the motivation for that is resolved by now. As an avid fan I hope I will see the Pips and others of their era back in the spotlight again doing some real performing and not being exploited by someone who has not idea of their true value. R&B vocal groups of their caliber are actual national treasures...We need to remember that!

No comments: