Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Father & Son; Movers or Rip-off Artists?

Normally, I do not get involved with consumer affairs, however I am breaking that tradition. In the past, I had used the services of Father & Son Movers. They are located in Essex County in New Jersey. I had a good experience with them. They gave us a reasonable estimate, the movers showed up on time and they finished on time. So, I recommended them to a couple of friends, because I believed they were capable of delivering satisfactory service. So, imagine my surprise when one of the individuals I recommended the company to told me a horror story I almost found unbelievable.

Now, this person is one of the most honest man I know. There were times during the course of our friendship I felt he was too honest, but that is another blog. My friend, (whom we will call "Frank") contacted the company and received an estimate of $545.00. This appeared reasonable to him so he agreed and signed the contract.

On the day of the move, the movers were late arriving and worked extremely slow thereby missing the contracted finishing time for the job. Frank also helped the movers, which was not in the contract. Once they had driven the last load to the destination point, they refused to unload the last of his things, unless he paid them overtime!! He argued and called the office of the movers and was told he had to pay!! Mind you, their failure to meet their deadline was not his fault.

Frank, not being the best business person, caved in and paid the movers $1058.00, $513.00 more than the original contract! So, they released his furniture and drove away laughing. I composed this blog to warn anyone in Essex and the surrounding counties not to even consider Father & Son if they need moving and/or storage services. STAY AWAY!!! Make sure you find someone, anyone else.

This story is far from over. My friend intends to pursue this as far as he has to. Hopefully, by tomorrow this story will have some sort of ending. Otherwise there will be more chapters, until there is an ending.

1 comment:

tt said...

We too had a very similiar experience with Father & Son Movers. The company we contracted to rip us off was from the Newark/NY location!!! The original estimate was $654.00; the movers were extremely slow; lacked the proper tools - waited and charged me for the hr it took me to locate the tools and when they finally reached the destination, my new home - they more than double the charge and held my belongings hostage until I paid!!! It boggles the mind that this company is in business!!!

All other readers - please note and avoid at all costs!!!